aka easy cheesy. aka motz stick mac. aka yumm
Prep/cook time: about 20 min
What you’ll need
- 1 Box Small Shells – or whatever pasta your kids pick out at the store
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Ritz crackers/Panko Crumbs (optional)
1.Cook half the box of pasta according to the directions on the box and drain (cooking in sauce pan, water boils faster – if you’re tight on time)
2.On medium-low heat mix milk and small amounts of cheese at a time. Allow each addition of cheese to melt before adding the next. Add sour cream to the mixture
3.Combine cheese mixture and pasta in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as any additional seasonings.
If you are better at juggling multiple dinner prep and children then I am then you can do steps 1 and 2 at the same time on separate burners. I tend to do them in subsequent order for two reasons, 1) I am only dirtying one pan, which means less clean up! 2) I end up burning the milk and cheese while draining the pasta and helping put the LEGO plane back together for the umpteenth time. You know-just typical nighttime stuff. But by all means – if you can do it, power to you!
As a side note- if you feel like your cheese sauce is too thin/water, add small amounts of flour at a time to thicken.
- If you’re looking to get dinner on the table quickly, just have the kids crush a few Ritz in a baggie and sprinkle on top. If you have a bit more time and are more organized than me, load the mac&cheese into an oven safe dish and sprinkle the top with the Ritz and broil until browned to give you the little bit of crunch that mozzarella sticks have.
- The best add on, is a nice tall berry margarita and a sugared rim (ADULT ADD ON ONLY)